Now there are different types of bars in NYC. There are those where tourists flock to and then there are dive bars which are basically “neighborhood bars” where people from the nearby areas gather and drink. The dive bars are cheaper and you see more of the locals there, which is better since no books or sites can guide you better than a local person.
There are several ways in which you can land up at a dive bar:
– Go to yelp.com and search for dive bars. But since they are in every neighborhood it kind of beats the purpose.
– Refer to other online guides or the written books.
– The preferred way according to me is to take a downtown subway from Times Square and get off at the 3rd or the 4th stop. A subway generally stops at every 6-8 streets which means you are a good 20-25 streets away from the tourist area. You will be surprised as to how the city changes the deeper you go.
But no matter what kind of a bar you go to here, there will always be certain differences from those in Mumbai.
– Most bars in Mumbai cut you off from the outside and keep it dark with the music booming through your ears; Here you can very well see the streets and whether it is dark or not and the music is generally soft till late in the evenings. It encourages communication and even the seating arrangement in the bars is such that people who go alone can mingle and meet others very easily.
– You can see more people sitting alone reading or doing something on their phones here; In Mumbai I know many people who frown to even have a drink alone in their homes. For them drinking alone equals being lonely, which is so not the case.
– They are actually strict about the drinking age and always check IDs, no matter what age you “look”.
– The bars in NYC have a larger collection of alcohol; some of it are the usual brands like Budweiser, Heineken, etc while others are brewed locally; And when I say locally I don’t mean the kind of local stuff we make which leads to deaths. There are local breweries, like the Brooklyn brewery and they have their own brands.
– I don’t need to specify it but the bars are open till the wee hours in the morning and nobody is going to attack you for “violating religion” kind of stuff.
So if you are in NYC, go to a neighborhood bar and try a new brand of alcohol. Oh, and you better tip the waiters/ waitresses there; they are sensitive about that stuff. 🙂
- The NYC Diary- Commuting (wordsofashex.wordpress.com)
- The End of Dive Bars and Clubs (jnormanpost.com)
- Public House NYC Announces New Drink Specials with Industry Night Every Monday (prweb.com)
- where to go, what to do?! UPTOWN NYC BABY! (passportsandvisa.wordpress.com)